Hospitality academy logo

Spanish Student Visa

The Student Visa is a residence authorization that allows non-EU citizens to live and study in Spain. 
The Student Visa is not a regular residence permit, but rather supports you during your study period
in Spain.
Types of Student visas
Required Documents

Types of Student Visas

Student Permit for less than 3 months (90 days)

Students from countries which are eligible for visa-free entry of up to 90 days, can take a course without obtaining a student visa (as long as the duration of the course is shorter than 90 days). Those coming from countries which do not qualify for visa-free entry need to apply for a Schengen Student Visa. To study in Spain, applications need to be made at a Spanish embassy or consulate in the home country of the student.

Short-term Student Visa for between 3 and 6 months

The Short-Term Student Visa allows students to take a course which lasts a maximum of 180 days. The application is less complicated than the one for longer courses as less paperwork is required. Short-term Student Visas cannot be extended under any circumstances.

Long-term Student Visa for more than 6 months

Long-Term Student Visas allow students to take courses which are longer than 6 months. In addition to completing the visa application, students have to apply for a student residence card at an immigration office within a month after arriving.


Non-EU Citizen

 You cannot be a citizen of a EU country in order to apply for this visa.

Legal Status (No Forbidden Entry Status)

You should not have a forbidden status to enter the country.

Sufficient Economic Funds

You should have sufficient funds in your to finance your stay in Spain. Your initial funds in your account should be at least 600 euros per month of stay. For example, if you are applying for a student visa for 1 year you should have 600x12 = 7200 euros in your bank account when applying.

Health Insurance Coverage

You should either have a public or a private health insurance that covers you during your stay in Spain.

Admission to a University Course

You need to be enrolled in the university you are planning to study at and you need to submit the admissions letter from the university while applying for the visa.

Admission to a University Course

You need to submit a police clearance certificate (PCC) from countries you have been staying in for the last 5 years to demonstrate that you have a clean criminal record.

Round Trip Flight Tickets (for Short-Term Visas only)

For short-term visas (less than 3 months) you need to additionally submit your flight tickets.

Required Documents

2 completed Schengen Visa application forms

Passport (valid for 6 more months after the the end of your visa)

2 recent passport photos (one for each application form)

Letter of acceptance from the University

Proof of Fee payment from the University

Health insurance

Proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay (bank statements of the last 6 months)

Sponsorship letter (in case of a third party sponsorship)

Indian hr employer listening latin candidate at job interview meeting.


Get a chance to study in one of the most hospitable countries in the world.

Work for a maximum of 20 hours per week

Chance to modify your student visa into a work visa
*only if you meet certain requirements

Looking for the best visa consulting?

Book a call

Our most popular programs

  • MBA

    MBA in Hospitality Management

    Duration- 2 Years
    Our MBA program is specifically created with business- centered  hospitality students in mind.
    More information
    MBA in Hospitality management and innovation

    MBA in Hospitality 
    Management & Innovation

    Duration- 20 Months
    MBA Hospitality Management & Innovation combines 
    online courses, specialised on-campus classes, 
    and practical experience within a renowned 
    American hotel business.
    More information

    Master's in Applied Hotel 

    Duration- 1 Year
    The Masters program has been designed for hospitality professionals who have already completed their Bachelors degree
    More information
  • At conference

    Hospitality Management and Innovation Certificate

    Duration- 12 Months
    This certificate for industry professionals who are 
    seeking career advancement and work experience 
    in the US at an affordable price.
    More information
    Business conference

    Masters in Event Management

    Duration- 1 Year
    This specialized Master’s in Event Management is a 
    1 year degree that combines fundamental online 
    courses and a professional experience 
    with a Spanish organization.
    More information
    Cheerful black guy greeting business partners, having online conference

    Online MBA in International Business

    Duration- 20 Months
    This MBA is for hospitality professionals who have completed their Bachelors and wish to advance in their career.
    More information

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I study in Spain without a visa?

No. You will need to apply for your student visa in order to become a legal resident during the time in which you will be coursing your degree/course/masters/P.hD. Nevertheless, if your course or studies take less than 90 days, there is no need to get it. You will have enough time with your tourist visa.

Can I stay in Spain after I graduate?

Your student visa is linked to the duration of your studies. This means that your visa expires upon graduation. However, with the help of Barcelona Hospitality Academy you will be able to extend your visa with the help of one of our programs.

Do I need a NIE number to study in Spain?

If your studies are less than 3 months you will NOT need to get a NIE.
If your studies are more than 3 months, however, you will have to get a NIE. The NIE is the basic ID number that any foreign citizen needs in Spain. Nevertheless, you will obtain it directly once you get your visa. The extra step you will need to take is to get the TIE (the actual card that contains the NIE).

Can I get an 'actual' job (not an internship)?

Yes. The student visa allows you to do both an internship or any other kind of job. With the student visa you are not in need of obtaining a residence and work permit. Nonetheless, keep in mind that even if you do a non-internship job, the maximum amount of hours you can work in this job is 20 hours.

Can foreign students work in Spain?

Yes. Foreign students may work in Spain. Their internships can both be done under curricular and extracurricular job contracts. In case of curricular internship, you will need a contract between both parties (university and the company) signed by both sides. Furthermore, students can also ask for a residence permit to do an internship in the country, moving out from their current student visa status and obtaining a residence authorization that allows them to work.

How many hours a week am I allowed to work?

You are allowed to work a total of 40 hours per week. Keep in mind that the maximum number of internship hours you may work a week is limited to 20. In other words, if you only have classes 5 hours per week you are not allowed to work for 35 hours per week during your internship, but only for 20. In case of doing a curricular internship it will be the university that defines the total number of hours a week you may work during your internship.

Need help applying for a visa?

Book a call
© Copyright, 2021, Hospitality Academy
Hospitality Academy Logo
Your Passport to the World of Hospitality
Need more information?
Follow us
checkmark-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram